Discussion forums are centrally located in the Discussion Board
tool of your course, but can be linked to from any course content
area. The Discussion Board tool lists
every discussion board of a Blackboard course, including those that
are specific to groups.
To view and read more than one message at a time, you need to “collect” the messages,
so that they will all appear on one page. To do this:
A search function appears at the top of the page throughout the
Discussion Board. The search feature includes a keyword field, date
restrictions, and options for where to search. The search function
starts at the current level and options exist to work up.
For example, in a forum, the default search option only searches that
forum but options exist to search the current discussion board or all
forums in the course, including any forums that appear within the group
The Forum Manager can change the status of a thread to one of the
• Published: A published thread is available to users.
• Locked: Users may read the thread but not make any additions or
modifications. Locking a thread allows grades to be assigned without
users updating or changing posts.
• Unlocked: Unlocking a thread allows users to modify and add to
• Hidden: Hidden threads do not display unless the user chooses.
Hidden threads may not be modified. Hiding threads removes outdated
threads and makes relevant content easier to find.
• Unavailable: Unavailable threads are only visible to forum
managers. Even then, forum managers must choose to view these
threads. Making threads unavailable means that users can no longer
view the thread.
To change the status of a thread:
- Open a forum and select threads using the checkboxes or the
select all/unselect all option .
- Move your cursor over the Thread Actions button and choose a
new status for the selected thread(s).