Adding Items to the Content Collection
1. Click the Content Collection tab in Blackboard.
2. Folders can be used to organize content by course, organization, or topic. To create a folder, click the Create Folder button.
- Provide a folder name. Default options are standard for most content added to Blackboard and do not need to be changed. Click the Submit button to create the folder.
3. To add an item, click the Upload File button within the appropriate folder.
4. Click Browse to locate and attach the file.
- To enable file versioning, allowing multiple versions of a single file to be uploaded and stored for tracking purposes, click both the "Overwrite if a file with the same name exists" and "Enable versioning" boxes. Both options must be checked each time a new version of the file is uploaded.
5. Click Submit to upload the file.
Public Access to Content Collection items
It is recommended that file access permissions be set to "Public" for any items uploaded to the Content Collection. This ensures that users across multiple versions of a course will have uninterrupted access to the file.
By default, access to the file is limited to the "owner," or uploader. When a link to the content collection item is created within a course, read-only access is expanded to all other users within that course. This allows students to view the file, but not to remove or make changes. However, if the course is copied at a later time, item access must be manually granted to new course users each semester. Making read-only access public removes the need for repeated access changes.
1. To set permissions, click the options button directly to the right of the item, then choose Permissions on the drop-menu.
2. Click the Permit Anyone button.
3. Read permissions are granted by default. This allows users to view the file, but not to remove or submit changes to the original.
4. Click Submit to add permissions.
The permissions user list will be displayed. The Public user will be listed, with read access clearly defined.