Adding an Assignment
Assignments can be included in any content area of your
Blackboard course (not just within the Assignment content area). The Assignment
tool allows you to create coursework and manage the grades and feedback for each student separately.
When an assignment is added, a column in the Grade Center is
automatically created to gather and manage the submitted work of your
- Login to your course.
- Open the desired content area and/or folder.
- Make sure the Edit Mode is ON.
- Select Evaluate > Create Assignment.
- Provide details of the assignment.
- Enter a name for the assignment:
will become the assignment link students will need to select
to be able to view and complete the assignment and
- it will
also appear in the Grade Center as the column title of the entry for this assignment.
- Select the color of the assignment title.
- Add your instructions or other related
content for the assignment using the Instructions box.
- You may enter your
content into the text box directly or
- you may choose to
attach the instructions and any other assignment file if they have already been entered
into a Word document or a PDF file either by
- using the Attach File icon of the Instructions text box or
- moving down to the next section of the
page to use the Browse
button under Assignment Files.
Assignment Files (Optional)
Assignment files can be any digital file uploaded from a local drive or from the Content Collection.
- If you choose to attach a file to your assignment
using this option,
- Click Browse to locate the appropriate
- Select the document, and then click Open
(or Submit if linking to a file in your Content Collection
- In the Name of link to file text field, enter whatever you want the link to the document to say. i.e. “Click
here for instructions.”
- Finally, click Attach File.
- Note: It is important to
click on the Attach File button before moving on to
the next section of the page; if you forget to click on this
button, your file will not be attached.
- Enter the points possible. This value
will be used in Grade Center calculations.
Select the check box next to Make the
Choose one of the available options next to
Number of Attempts. You can allow multiple submissions for
assignments. This feature is useful in many situations:
- when rough drafts are allowed or required
- when students are allowed to resubmit
revised papers following instructor feedback
- when students should be prevented from
being locked out of an assignment after submitting an empty
assignment page (that is the assignment page without the
attached file created by the student for the given
Note: when allowing multiple attempts
(both unlimited attempts or a certain number of attempts),
your grading won't be impacted. Blackboard will show you the
student's most recent submission and also present you with
the option of viewing and/or downloading of all other
- To display a due date, select the check
box and use the Date Selection Calendar and the Time
Selection Menu icon to assign a date and time. This will
place a reminder for the students in the My Grades area, but
it will not limit the visibility of the assignment link or
prevent late submissions. If you want to prevent students
from submitting their work after the due date, you'll need
to use the Display Until option under section 4.
Availability > Limit Availability. (See image above.)
- Choose if your assignment is going to
be available to all of the students or just to a certain
group of students.
- Click on Submit. Your added assignment will look something like this: