1. Enter the content area containing the item for which adaptive release rules will be set.
2. Click the options button directly to the right of the item, then select Adaptive Release: Advanced from the drop-menu.
3. Click the Create Rule button.
4. Provide a name for the rule. The default numbered name is suitable for most occassions, but providing a descriptive rule name can be helpful when multiple rules are created for a single item. Click the Submit button to continue.
5. Click the Create Criteria button to narrow the ability of users to view the content item. Select criteria from the drop-menu. Criteria choices are Date, Grade, and Membership.
6. The Date criteria establishes a timeframe of accessibility, much like the dates of availability that are set when creating an item. Adaptive release dates will override any options of availability set for an item.
- To limit the date of availability, click the Date option on the Create Criteria drop-menu, then assign date and time settings as desired. The Display After and Display Until boxes must be checked for date restrictions to take effect.
7. Grade criteria requires that a user earn a score for an assignment or test before gaining access to the item. For instance, an adaptive release rule could require a student to earn a score on a practice quiz before taking the mid-term exam.
- Click the Grade option on the Create Criteria drop-menu.
- Select the pre-requisite grade column.
- Establish the pre-requisite conditions required. This can require that the user have at least one attempt at the item, have a minimum score, or fall within a specific performance window.
- Click Submit to create the Grade criteria.
8. Membership criteria limits the visibility of an item to specific users.
- Click the Membership option on the Create Criteria drop-menu.
- Click the Browse button to search for specific users.
- Click the Go button to view the course roster.
- Select the checkbox next to any users to be added to the membership criteria. Click Submit once all members have been selected.
- Click submit again to finalize membership criteria.
Note: To verify visibility of a content item, click the options button to the right of the item, then choose User Progress on the drop-menu.
Users with an "open eye" graphic meet all adaptive release criteria, allowing the users to see and interact with the item. The item is unavailable to users with a red line covering the eye.